Navajo Tribal Utility Authority (NTUA) – Business Plan
NI Solutions was hired by the Navajo Tribal Utility Authority (NTUA) to develop a broadband communications business plan and assist with grant writing to enable the NTUA to build a communications network capable of offering all residents’ cost-effective, highly integrated voice, and data services with full interactive capabilities. The network will also be capable of providing utility solutions such as automated meter reading (AMR), supervisory control and
data acquisition System (SCADA) and Voice over Internet phone (VOIP). Sections of the business plan include the following:
- Review existing Technologies Study and identify missing sections, sections needing updating, and sections needing validation
- Identify the internal and external telecommunications needs
- Modify existing Digital Microwave and replace it with a fiber optic backbone where feasible
- Identify potential telecommunications service providers for resource sharing.
- Prepare overall cost estimates
- Prepare revised financial (revenue) projections
- Identify constraints and assumptions
- Identify and assist with grants
- Identify and evaluate current fiber facilities available for purchase and/or lease.
- Grants Opportunities
Navajo Tribal Utility Authority - Detailed Fiber Optic Engineering Design
NI Solutions was hired to assist the Navajo Tribal Utility Authority (NTUA) in developing a detailed fiber optic engineering design. The build out includes over 550 miles of fiber optic backbone and approximately 20 miles of laterals and spurs. The plan included fiber optic engineering, electronics, and training. Listed below are details of the tasks associated with the design:
Fiber Backbone & Lateral Design
- Provided detailed engineering design of the proposed route.
- Performed pole strength calculations to meet NESC loading criteria.
- Identified all necessary Make-Ready work.
- Proposed hardware and Bill of Materials for the designed route
Navajo Tribal Utility Authority (NTUA) - Electronics Housing
1. Design Telecommunication Shelters (Total Total: 35)
- Engineering & Design of pre-manufactured telecommunications building
prototype to meet or exceed NTUA’s expectations.
Completed architectural, structural, electrical, grounding, generator, electrical
riser, mechanical and basic site development plans based on NTUA’s site plan.
Electrical Services, Grounding and Generator.
- Reviewed the following: Floor Plan &Reflected Ceiling Plan, Elevations, Building
Sections, Electrical Grounding Plan based on assumed soil conditions ,
Mechanical load analysis and HVAC System Plan , Energy Code compliance
analysis and calculations, alarm system design, and Fire Protection System
- Prepared Bid Documents
- Certification documents by licensed professional engineer
Navajo Tribal Utility Authority (NTUA) - Electronics Design
NI Solutions was hired to develop a detailed electronics design required to light the proposed fiber optic network. NIS specified the electronic and the ancillary equipment required to support the communication requirements of NTUA to connect substations including protective devices and relays, and existing SCADA and microwave system:
1. Developed Equipment Plans and Specifications including:
a. Determine requirements for new electronics
b. Identify solutions available
c. Provide detailed network design
2. Identified Signal Regeneration Sites
a. Provide Signal loss calculations
3. Prepared bid documents
a. Reviewed bids
b. Recommended Vendor
4. Existing NTUA microwave network
a. Specify electronics for integration of existing microwave network with the fiber optic backbone
Navajo Tribal Utility Authority (NTUA): IP Addressing & Fiber Logic Design
NI Solutions was hired by the NTUA to develop an IP Addressing scheme and fiber optic splicing logic. The scope of work includes the following:
1. Assist NTUA personnel to register and request an Autonomous System (ASN) number to Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).
2. Develop IP Addressing Scheme for the following:
Monitoring Services – for management of IP based hosts
NTUA Private Network - for internal NTUA network services
NTUA SCADA Network – SCADA device control
Ethernet Services for 3rd Parties - for (LTE, Microwave, Navajo residential)
Voice Services – Currently the NTUA uses an IP based ShoreTel VOIP system
which may be expanded.
Public IP address space
3. Create logical fiber path routes for all network electronics, LTE Towers, Microwave equipment and SCADA device elements. The following tasks are required:
Fiber route and pathway design
Fiber strand numbering scheme
Fiber route design, and fiber splicing paths
Fiber Splice case numbering scheme
Fiber splice trays and demark numbering scheme
Design and documentation of fiber strands under IRU, Lease or ownership
Modeling for all buffer allocations
Internal cross-connect and provisioning design by rack or customer
Network security design Provisioning designs for the various customer types
Develop a functional flowchart for provisioning bandwidth services Document design for SLA, LOA, CFA and other service provisioning forms End to end service activation, provisioning and configuration design QOS, CIR, PIR for traffic management design and policies.
SCADA / AMI
Gather a complete list of IT / SCADA / AMI / Camera Drop sites
Develop a priority plan for these sites
Develop Network integration design
Provide a network subnet design / assignment and routing design
Provide a workable deployment design and schedule
Provide a security guidelines and recommendations
NTUA Information Technology Department
Develop a network design for the integration of the NTUA Video Security cameras Review current and proposed Layer /23 IP design plans
Develop a physical integration design plan Provide a workable deployment design and schedule Work with NTUA IT to develop a Network Layer 2/3 design for transition to the new Metro Ethernet network Provide a security guidelines and recommendations Multi site disaster recovery and fail-over design.